Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Beauty

I've never really been the outdoors type. I'm definitely more of an inside girl. I prefer shopping to hiking and resorts to camp grounds. However, one thing about the great outdoors that I absolutely love is the beauty that can be found.

I remember going on family vacations to Bryce, Zions and Yellowstone National Parks and marveling at the beauty all around. I dreamed that one day I would travel around capturing breathtaking scenes like Ansel Adams. While I'm definitely no Ansel Adams, and my focus in photography has shifted just a bit, I still enjoy all the beauty nature has to offer.

I no longer live near the stunning red arches and hoodoos of Zions and Bryce, or the gorgeous hot springs and geysers of Yellowstone. (I promise I didn't make the word hoodoo up, that's really what they're called...I had to look it up). I now live in a very suburban area. There's not much in the way of large open areas that are undeveloped.

But I've found that I can find beauty in the most unlikely places. All I have to do is slow down and be more observant. Whether it's a prickly pink weed in the field next to my apartment or the way the light hits the overgrown grass at the edge of the parking lot, there is beauty where ever we go.

An old friend from high school recently mentioned "The More You Know" TV campaign on his blog. You know the ones. With the shooting star, the catchy jingle you can't get out of your head and a celebrity with a message to share. He posted what his message would be if he were to do one of those commercials and it got me thinking what mine might be.

I think I would have to go with this: "Beauty can be found in the most unexpected places. Take a minute, slow down and see the beauty that is around you. You might be surprised by what you find."

Here's a little of the beauty that I see.


_4200044Rweb





_4200039Rweb





P4294630Rweb





P5185102Rweb





P5185094Rweb

No comments:

Post a Comment